Minnesota Rocks the Casbah
Happy 149th Birthday Minnesota!!
On this day in 1858, my home state became part of the union! Drink a toast to the North Star State!!
A few facts about my homeland:
* Area, 84,068 sq mi
* Population (2000) 4,919,479
* State bird, common loon
* State flower, showy lady’s slipper or pink and white lady’s slipper
* State tree, red pine
* Has more than 11,000 lakes and numerous streams and rivers
* VERY HOT AND HUMID IN THE SUMMER
* Beginning of the Mississippi River (from Lake Itasca), so shouldn’t it be the Minnesota River??
* Archaeological evidence indicates that Minnesota was inhabited long before the time of the Mound Builders. A skeleton (“Minnesota Woman“), found in 1931 near Pelican Falls, is believed to date from the late Pleistocene epoch, c.20,000 years ago. Many important archaeological finds relating to the early inhabitants of North America have been made in Minnesota.
For more info, see the above link!